Adoption of better management practices is an emerging trend among the water utility industry. Widespread adoption of better management practices offers great promise to reduce costs and direct system investments using a risk-based approach. JITF Aquasource is working with water utilities to better understand what attributes are critical to their success so that their success can be shared broadly across the industry.
JITF Aquasource has a number of programs that are intended to help shift the utility management model beyond compliance to sustainability and improved performance.
- Effective Water Utility Management Initiative - JITF Aquasource is working collaboratively with organizations that support drinking water and wastewater utilities to identify the attributes of sustainable utilities and to promote effective utility management.
- Asset Management can be defined as managing infrastructure capital assets to minimize the total cost of owning and operating them, while delivering the desired service levels.
- Environmental Management Systems integrates the environment into everyday business operations, and environmental stewardship becomes part of the daily responsibility for employees across an entire organization.
- Capacity Development is a program to assist drinking water systems to improve their finances, management, infrastructure, and operations so they can provide safe drinking water consistently, reliably, and cost-effectively.
- Energy and Water use by the water sector are closely linked. Savings in one area can often translate into savings in the other and integrating energy efficient practices into the daily management and long-term planning of the water sector will contribute to long-term sustainability and reduce impacts of climate change.